INTRODUCTION OF DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCINCE AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
The department of Computer Science & Information Technology has been established to meet the needs for well-skilled computer professionals by providing high quality education. The aim is to inform, challenge, and train students for a constantly changing world of technology. The department has various well-equipped computer labs with latest computer software’s and broad-band internet facility. The programs are designed to provide both an academic and professional placement. These programs will help prospective students gain additional knowledge/skills in these areas. They will have job opportunities at national and international level, belong to a connected student community and expand their network socially and professionally.
The department is offering two BS degree programs;
- BS Computer Science (CS)
- BS Information Management (IM)
BS (Information Management) 4 Years Degree Program is a broad-based, interdisciplinary degree, which gives students and insight into a wide range of basic and social science and management science subjects. This program will enable students to deal with the issues of the contemporary world. The B.S. in Information Management is versatile and launches students into many wide-ranging career options in diverse fields. It also prepares the students for further academic pursuits, particularly in Social Sciences and Management Sciences. Following an all-round training in Information Management through this program, students can choose to specialize in a sub-field of their interest at a university in Pakistan or abroad.
For enrolment in BS Information Management, the candidate; in addition to the framework as laid down by the University of Home Economics, should meet the following criteria:
- Students with 45% marks in intermediate, F. Sc (Pre-Medical / Pre-Engineering), ICS, and equivalent are eligible to apply.
- Twelve years of education with at least second division and the general criteria set by the university
The course shall be a combination of various methods including lectures, workshops, seminars, tutorials and group discussions. The teacher will only discuss the basic of the concerned topic with pupil subsequently guiding them how to collect, recognize and interpret remaining information.
Evaluation will be done according to pre-defined criteria, and marks weightage will be given accordingly. The subjective section will include descriptive and short questions and the objective section will include multiple choice questions and fill in the blanks. There will be a separate evaluation system for assignments, seminars, group discussion, presentations and tutorials. The weightage of these sections would be:
- Sessional (Assignments/quizzes/projects etc.) 20%
- Mid Term 30 %
- Final Term 50 %
Objectives of BS Information Management
The specific objectives are to enable students:
- Innovative and ethical leaders who understand the impact of information and technology upon a society and create value added services for their communities while promoting a culture of professional and ethical use of information.
- Competent enough to manage libraries, knowledge and information centers, archives, museums and records centers, and media houses in public and private sector and to design customized services for the clients in both print and digital environment
- Capable of offering high quality, customized information management solution in specialized fields such as social management and health sciences, pure and applied sciences, engineering and technology, arts, and museums and so on.
- Techno experts who can manage and design the information systems and services for their clients to access, acquire, organize, and disseminate information and knowledge sources.
- Capable of designing information literacy learning programs for their communities.
- Well versed in using appropriate methods of research for problem solving and knowledge generation in the field.
- Actively engage in matters of management, policy and preservation of cultural heritage
The major outcomes of this BS program are expected to make students able to;
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the major information sources, and reference tools which facilitates access to information
- Comprehend the basic concept and importance of the organization of knowledge, become a lifelong learner and practice all the social, technical and logical skills being taught during the course of study
- Develop confidence and expertise in handling information sources, understand the difference types of networks, and use application software for office management
- Understand the importance of research, they will be able to apply and integrate qualitative and quantitative research approaches as applicable.
- Develop insights and methods for dealing with issues pertaining to collection development and management including policies development, selection process, acquisition options, weeding, preservation and conservation strategies for print and electronic resources using relevant theories and practices.
- Discuss the various environments and cultural contexts where records and documents are created, managed, and used and the reasons why societies, cultures, organizations, and individuals create and keep records (research, ongoing operations, accountability, litigation and organizational memory)
- Understand the meaning and distinct characteristics as well as relationship of data, information and knowledge.
After successful completion of the course, the students will be able to have career opportunities in the government’s public relations Department, non-government organizations, libraries, museums, archives & records centers, media houses, knowledge and information centers and largely every organization that deals with information in public and private sectors.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes