BS Food Science and Technology
Food technology is the application of a diversity of scientific and practical disciplines, including chemistry, biology, physics and engineering, to the production, processing, preservation, and packaging and their worldwide distribution. It deals with all types of foods like meat, fruits, vegetables, cereals, fish, egg, milk, spices etc.
Our mission is to provide high-quality education and training to individuals preparing for careers in food science and technology in the government departments, food industry, academia, research organizations and official food control laboratories.
Nature of Work
The primary job of a food scientist is to ensure food security by reducing post-harvest losses, selecting appropriate raw materials, and maintaining clean and hygienic conditions and the quality of the food.
Food scientists and food technologists
- Study the physical, microbiological and chemical composition of food
- Analyze the food to ensure its nutritional value
- Develop new techniques for processing and preservation of food articles
- Responsible for all aspects of production of the finished food product. This ranges from the sourcing and correct storage of raw materials to actual processing and packaging of the product ready for distribution
- Analyze current consumer trends and latest techniques to develop new product ideas
- Liaising with manufacturing companies to identify the critical properties of a food product and suggesting appropriate packaging and filling techniques
- Food technologists working in the area of product development are responsible for developing products and continual improvement of foods
- Research and development work in laboratories or on production lines
- Quality control and quality assurance of food
- Minimum qualification
Intermediate (Pre-Medical or Pre-Engineering) or equivalent recognized qualification with minimum 60% marks i.e. 660/1100, or Intermediate (Pre-Agriculture) securing CGPA 2.50/4.00.
- Duration Four Years
The minimum number of semesters for completing the degree for BS Food Science and Technology shall be eight. Provided that in case a student does not qualify for the award of degree within the minimum period of eight semesters, he may continue his studies for a maximum of four consecutive semesters beyond which he shall not be eligible for enrolment.
- Medium of Instruction
The medium of instructions and examinations shall be English except in case of Islamic Studies, which shall be in Urdu.
SCOPE OF FOOD TECHNOLOGY IN PAKISTAN:
The scope of food technology in Pakistan is very huge. With the passage of time the demand for food scientists who can verify that the food is halal and healthy have been immensely increased. Pakistan food departments need faculty to work for the examination of halal and healthy food in different food industries, hotels and markets. So this field can open up the doors to success.
- Food Technologist
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Food Scientist
- Food Science Technician
- Food Manufacturing Specialist
- Food Product Developers
- Food Safety Analyst
- Food System Manage
EMPLOYMENT AREAS FOR FOOD TECHNOLOGY GRADUATES:
A vast number of career opportunities are available for Food Technology students both in Government and Private sectors. Following are some of them;
- Agricultural provincial & federal government departments like Punjab Food Department, Punjab Food Authority, KPK Food Authority, etc.
- Research organizations like Ayub Agricultural Research Institute (AARI), NIBGE, NIAB, Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (NIFA) etc.
- Multinational & local Food industry Milk, Meat, Poultry, Egg, Fish, Cereal, Fruit and Vegetable, Consumer Products, Confectionary Industries like Nestle, Engro foods, PEPSI Co, Coca Cola, K & Ns, Mitchell’s, Shezan, Fuiji Cereals, Mayfair, Unilever, etc.
- Public & private sector food testing laboratories such as PCSIR, Qurshi, TTI, Punjab Agriculture, Food and Drug Authority
- Food regulatory & certification organizations including ISO, PSQCA, Codex, FAO, FDA, IFANCA Halal Food Certification body, KPK Halal Food Authority
- Colleges and universities TEVTA, Vocational Institutes, and all Universities offering Food Science as a major
- Small business development agencies such as SMEDA, Banking Sector for food and agricultural business like ZTBL
- Dairy development sector e.g. Pakistan Dairy Development Board,
- Hospitality Sector including PC Hotel, Sareena, Marriott Hotel, Ramada etc.
- Food ingredient suppliers SMC, Knor, Rafhan Foods, etc.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes