INTRODUCTION OF DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCINCE AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
The department of Computer Science & Information Technology has been established to meet the needs for well-skilled computer professionals by providing high quality education. The aim is to inform, challenge, and train students for a constantly changing world of technology. The department has various well-equipped computer labs with latest computer software’s and broad-band internet facility. The programs are designed to provide both an academic and professional placement. These programs will help prospective students gain additional knowledge/skills in these areas. They will have job opportunities at national and international level, belong to a connected student community and expand their network socially and professionally.
The department is offering two BS degree programs;
- BS Computer Science (CS)
- BS Information Management (IM)
BS CS, Course Overview
Computer science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering that form the basis for the design and use of computers. It is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications. It is in fact the practice of designing and implementing large, reliable, efficient and economical software by applying the principles and practices of engineering. The program aims to train students in all aspects of software life cycle from specification through analysis and design to testing, maintenance and evaluation of the software product.
BS CS, Eligibility Criteria
- At least 50% marks in HSSC (Intermediate) or an equivalent examination AND
- Should have studied for HSSC or an equivalent qualification, for at least two years
- Should have EITHER
- studied Mathematics at the HSSC or equivalent level. OR
- candidates with pre-medical background will have to take a deficiency course of mathematics in first semester.
The course shall be a combination of various methods including lectures, workshops, seminars, field trips, tutorials and group discussions using audio visual aids. As computer science is a skill-based course, therefore, instructors will focus on the practical work conducted in labs. Students will have hand on experience with the computer science related tools and languages.
- Evaluation will be done according to pre-defined criteria, and marks weightage will be given
- The subjective section will include descriptive, short questions and the objective section will include multiple choice questions and fill in the blanks.
- There will be a separate evaluation system for assignments, seminars, group discussion, presentations and tutorials.
The weightage of these sections would be:
- Sessional (Assignments/quizzes/projects etc.) 20%
- Mid Term 30 %
- Final Term 50 %
However, the instructor can change the above weightage after the approval from the Department Head/Controller Examination/Competent Authority.
Objectives of BS CS
Graduates of the BS in Computer Science are expected to:
- Fundamental Computing knowledge acquired by a student to perform in her professional environment.
- Develop critical thinking to evaluate the problem area and come up with best solution.
- Create and collaborate in emergent computing technologies leading to innovative solutions for industry and academia.
- Start a career in a Computer Science and Information Technology oriented business/industry or pursue higher studies in relevant field.
- Function effectively as a leader of a team in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Adapt latest tools, technologies and skills necessary for evolving computing practices of the industry.
- Practice continuous learning to maintain and achieve professional and personal excellence.
- As a computing professional, collaborate effectively on domestic and global projects and programs.
- Maintain the highest standards of personal integrity, behavior, ethical and professional conduct.
This computing program prepare students to attain educational objectives by ensuring that students demonstrate achievement of the following outcomes:
|Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
|Computing Professional Graduate
|To prepare graduates as computing professionals
|Knowledge for Solving Computing Problems
|Apply knowledge of computing fundamentals, knowledge of a computing specialization, and mathematics, science, and domain knowledge appropriate for the computing specialization to the abstraction and conceptualization of computing models from defined problems and requirements
|Identify, formulate, research literature, and solve complex computing problems reaching substantiated conclusions using fundamental principles of mathematics, computing sciences, and relevant domain disciplines
|Design/Development of Solutions
|Design and evaluate solutions for complex computing problems, and design and evaluate systems, components, or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
|Modern Tool Usage
|Create, select, adapt and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern computing tools to complex computing activities, with an understanding of the limitations
|Individual and Teamwork
|Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings
|Communicate effectively with the computing community and with society at large about complex computing activities by being able to comprehend and write effective reports, design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and understand clear instructions
|Computing Professionalism and Society
|Understand and assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues within local and global contexts, and the consequential responsibilities relevant to professional computing practice
|Understand and commit to professional ethics, responsibilities, and norms of professional computing practice
|Recognize the need, and have the ability, to engage in independent learning for continual development as a computing professional
Graduates of this program can expect promising careers (not limited to) in the following roles:
- Computer Programmer
- Application Analyst
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Software Quality Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Software Engineer
- Web Developer
- Database Administrator
- Academia & Freelancing
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes